Re: HELP!! ACCESS ODBC ORACLE

From: Douglas Hackney <hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 25 Jan 1995 15:40:13 GMT

In <3g5pg5$ikh_at_ef2007.efhd.ford.com> wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com (Bill Meahan) writes:

>gbray1_at_abacus.tis.tandy.com (Geoff Bray) wrote:
>><Stuff deleted>

>[ stuff deleted about braindead joins]
>
>>Is this just true of MS Access because I'm using Andyne GQL via ODBC
 to a remote
>>dtabase and the join happens on the remote database.
>>

>This is a function of Microsoft's "jet" engine which is the underlying
kernal for Access. You

[snip]

>GQL should probably be fine unless it also uses the "jet" engine (I'm
 not a GQL user).

GQL does not use the JET engine, it connects to remote data sources via whatever connectivity layer is available and performs all functions (at least those the user wants to) on the server.

Although GQL does support ODBC to connect to whatever you want to use it for, a native connection is a far better route to go. If you've got the choice, use SQL*NET to get to Oracle, DB Lib to Sybase, etc. ODBC is slow, and it doesn't support things you come to expect in a non-brain dead connection, such as Count Distinct.

If you're using GQL --> ODBC to connect to PC data sources such as MS Access make sure you get the new Microsoft ODBC 2 driver pack just released. MS fixed a load of stuff in it, such as Order By (using column number, a level 1 ODBC functionality).

Doug Hackney                                  hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com