Re: Backup Recovery Strategy for Large Database

From: Don Vick <dvick_at_lanier.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 14:58:04 GMT

In article <Pine.SV4.3.91.950124081125.1063A-100000_at_gateway.ctg.com>, P.E. Detzel <ctg27516_at_ctg.com> wrote:
>I need to develop and implement a backup/recovery strategy for a large
>Oracle application. This will be a global system and is required to be
>available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The platform is HP/UX and
>Oracle V7.0.16. It will be an 80 gigabyte system plus disk shadowing.
>
>I would like to know what backup/recovery method you use, have you had to
>recover, what advice/cautions/recommendations/etc you can share. Also,
>with the shadowed disks, is it possible to de-shadow and then perform a
>backup on the former shadow sets?

We use this technique for backing up a 20+ gigabyte database that has stringent uptime requirements (though not 24x7 yet). At an opportune moment, we mirror the disks containing the database, then bring down the database, separate the mirrored drives, and restart the database. The database is down for less than five minutes, and we have a complete static image that can be backed up to tape later. Maybe you can adapt this to a hot backup strategy.

Don

Donald E. Vick (dvick_at_lanier.com, dvick_at_crl.com) Voice: (404) 493-2194 Fax: (404) 493-2399 Received on Wed Jan 25 1995 - 15:58:04 CET

Original text of this message