Re: Very Large Database Support Inquiry...

From: Dave Mausner <dmausner_at_brauntech.com>
Date: 24 Jan 1995 18:20:28 GMT

In article <D2vB5t.1x6_at_tfs.com>, marcs_at_tfs.com says...
> I'm try to locate some real world cases that have used one of
>the popular RDBMS products to manage Very Large Databases - on the
>order of 500 Gigabyte to 1 Terabyte. What I have on hear-say is that
>Oracle does a so-so job, Informix is supposed to do a good job but is
>too new and unproven and Sybase is pretty much unusable since it has
>some sort of problem scaling past 4-CPUs on an SMP system.

Sorry, i'm only up to 100 Gbytes so far, but my experience has been that oracle7 with parallel query server and an SMP with plenty of memory is linearly scalable and robust. it has my recommendation.

--
Dave Mausner, Sr. Consultant, Braun Technology Group, Chicago.