Re: Undocumented features

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 25 Jan 95 07:38:12 +1000

In article <3g14fs$e0f$1_at_mhade.production.compuserve.com>, Ruud de Haas <100121.1053_at_CompuServe.COM> writes:
> We found the following undocumented Oracle feature:
>
> ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS 'IMMEDIATE TRACE NAME CONTROLF LEVEL 99'
>
> Can anyone tell me:
> what other commands besides SET EVENTS are possible ?
> which other keywords besides CONTROLF are possible as well as
> what the do;
> what 99 means in this respect and what other values are posible.
> are there any ORA messages given as this command is used ?

The command above and others like it tend to flag database events and structures that should be reported in additional detail in the trace and dump files created when things go wrong.

Oracle support have asked us to set one in our Oracle Financials database to trap info on a duplicate ROWID problem which occurs "in special circumstances" when rows are chained. A real BUGGER! to fix when it happens!

As to what the actual codes and parameters are and mean ... that information is not for mortal eyes, and I don't know either ... 8^).

Let us know what you find out but BE VERY CAREFUL about using them. The bugs

in the documented system are bad enough without introducing undocumented bugs.
--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras