Re: Undocumented features

From: Dave Mausner <dmausner_at_brauntech.com>
Date: 24 Jan 1995 18:18:04 GMT

In article <D2wnDM.F02_at_quay.ie>, lsd_at_quay.ie says...

>Mark Vandenbroeck (mvandenb_at_be.oracle.com) wrote:
>: Ruud de Haas <100121.1053_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>: >
>: > We found the following undocumented Oracle feature:
>: >
>: > ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS 'IMMEDIATE TRACE NAME CONTROLF LEVEL 99'
>: >
>: > Can anyone tell me:
>: > what other commands besides SET EVENTS are possible ?
>: These 'events' are undocumented and should remain so. You are not
>: supposed to use these unless instructed by support.
> Are you saying that my Oracle DB contains hidden logic bombs and all that
> it requires is for the office monkey to come up with the right combination
> of key strokes and then WIPEOUT. Sounds like you're playing the company
> secret game a bit too seriously.
[flame doused]

It's pure debug stuff; the equivalent forms can also be entered via undocumented INIT.ORA parameters. My sources reveal that there is nothing useful you can do with these things in a production environment. And you can do lots of harm. You're not missing anything and you are not in any danger from randomly-typing monkeys or other life-forms.

--
Dave Mausner, Sr. Consultant, Braun Technology Group, Chicago.