Re: Oracle on DEC ALPHA

From: <rjen_at_rvax.syntex.com>
Date: 24 Jan 1995 20:10:41 GMT

In article <3f1dr1$f0c$1_at_mhadg.production.compuserve.com>, Rich Gaston <75457.515_at_CompuServe.COM> writes:
|>We're still trying to get Oracle7 stable and fast on a pretty
|>beefy DEC 7000-620. We're having difficulty with stored
|>procedures and a couple other areas, and I'm getting more and
|>more concerned that Oracle's QA process is now more focused on
|>UNIX platforms than DEC VAX. I don't want to say that you
|>shouldn't look at Oracle for this platform - I have no idea
|>whether other DBMSs would work better under OpenVMS - but I
|>really don't feel like we're getting a good bang for the buck at
|>this time.
|>Anyone at Oracle interested in following up with me on this is
|>welcomed to call me at 415-827-5854.
|>Rich Gaston, CellularOne

Rich,

You're not the only one who feels this way. We are also a DEC site and feel we are getting poor support and Oracle is unresponsive to our needs. At the last Northern CA Oracle User Group meeting, other DEC sites expressed the same sentiments - although there seem to be fewer and fewer DEC sites, as many are switching to unix. Now that Oracle has bought RDB, is there anywhere to get better service - or is DEC dead for database users?

Jen

--
Jennifer Corliss is on an InterGalactic cruise...       |The opinions expressed
                                                        |above may not be those
   ...in her office                                     |of my employer.