Re: HELP! doubt about data types...

From: DavidJRoth <davidjroth_at_aol.com>
Date: 23 Jan 1995 19:28:15 -0500

Hi !

I am trying to design a database schema and I want to have a field in a record which can store UPTO 500 K of data. I see in oracle7 manual that there is one data type VARCHAR(size). Can that 'size' be 500K ? Is there any wayout like a BLOB?
Rachakonda Satya Mahesh writes:

>I request somebody to help me by mailing directly to me. I sincerely
thank any >help in advance ...

>Mahesh

>--
>Rachakonda Satya Mahesh res:
>(913) 749-7540
>University of Kansas, Lawrence off: (913)
 864-7374
>mahesh_at_cecase.ukans.edu fax: (913)
864-7789

Use the LONG datatype. Note that there are significant restrictions on the operations can can be performed on long.

Only 1 LONG data type column per table.
Cannot use in SUBSTR or any other character functions etc.
David Roth

Carty Mailloux Consulting                                      All
opinions expressed are my own.
UNIX Client/Server System Integrators                     Please that them
for what they are
(508) 392-1300x20                                                 worth.