Re: Powerbuilder 4 vs. CDE2

From: James T Ranks <ranks_at_qns.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 20:47:17 -0600

In article <3fjd3v$plv_at_uuneo.neosoft.com>, swhatle_at_starbase.neosoft.com (Steven Whatley) wrote:

> Anders Volle (volle_at_oslonett.no) wrote:

> : Were in the process of recommending development tools for a customer and
> : have come down with two names: Oracles CDE and Powerbuilder .

> : The problem is that their current releases are so recently released (at
> : least in my part of the world) that its hard to find developers that have
> : any real experience with them.

I have limited experience with PB 3 and we have had PB4 for about two months. I am not a developper, but a DBA and use PB4 to give a gui windows frontend to some of my common queries. I don't have any experience with CDE. From what I've seen of PB 3 and 4, both seem to function well. Rapid protoyping and development is possible. My concern about serious development is that I haven't found a way to include HINTS or specify indexes. Also, you can not specify storage parameters or create stored procedures within PB. You can access stored procedures though.

I hope that helps.

--
*- System: Macintosh Quadra 605              -*