Re: Extents - Full or Max?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 22:27:10 GMT

In article <3fit4g$dc5_at_dcsun4.us.oracle.com> Mark Vandenbroeck <mvandenb_at_be.oracle.com> writes:
>joelga_at_rossinc.com (Joel Garry) wrote:
>>

>> Thanks to all who responded to my message, here and in e-mail. The
>> problem turned out to be...[cue drum roll]...
>>
>> SMON!
>>
>> Turns out, when you drop and re-add a schema/user with the same name,
>> repeatedly, SMON doesn't totally clean up after. So eventually, you run
>> out of space, even though it appears you should have enough contiguous
>> space. The fix is simple - just shut down and restart the database.
>
>As far as I know, there is no such bug known with SMON.
>BUT! SMON does it's cleaning at a very low priority. It may take hours
>or sometimes days (depending on size, system activity, ...) before
>the clean-up is complete.
>
>Mark

So, shouldn't there be some way to show that you have no space? This "feature" makes for some highly misleading dba inquiries.

Like the battery backup in my VCR and answering machines - don't do much good if the power company takes 15 hours to get the power back on.

If what you say is the cause, SMON needs to tell someone it is falling irretrievably behind. Or even up its priority.

jg

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.