Re: TWO VERSIONS OF ORACLE ON SAME VMS MACHINE

From: Michael P. Vergara <mvergara_at_sctcorp.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 16:07:04 GMT

In article <1995Jan19.135644.48_at_decus>, y_baumert_at_decus.ch (YVONNE BAUMERT, DECUS EUROPE AD-SIG CHAIR) says:

>If you want to set up two different versions of ORACLE on the same VMS machine
>"you should install the code in parallel directories, one level or more below
>the login dirctory of the ORACLE account" (Oracle7 for VAX OpenVMS Installation
>Guide page 1-2)
>
>We do this and have as ORA_ROOT
> [ORACLE.root] for one installation and
> [ORACLE.oracle70] for the other installation.
>The fist name is not the best to choose and historical.

<stuff snipped>

Y'know what I think is better is the Oracle Optimal Flexible Architecture which Oracle uses on Unix machines. I have installed, used, and maintained Oracle on both VMS- and Unix-based machines, and the OFA-style of structure gives you the most options.

This structure does what Yvonne recommends, it gives you parallel directories below the main Oracle directory, and if you have enough disk you can have several versions. On my MicroVAX 3100-90, I have v6.0.36, v7.0.16, and v7.1.3 versions all supporting active instances.

It CAN be done!

   ^^^

Mike

---
Mike Vergara         | Be good...and you will be lonesome...
mvergara_at_sctcorp.com |                     Jimmy Buffett (and Mark Twain)
Opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.  So there.