DEC ALPHA OSF/1 CASE*Designer PROBLEM

From: Stephan A. Sleptsov <sas_at_urt.kiev.ua>
Date: 23 Jan 1995 00:26:17 +0200

Hi,

On DEC 2000 Alpha model 300 AXP under DEC OSF/1 AXP version 2.0B we have installed the following products

  • ORACLE7 Server (RDBMS) 7.1.3.0.0
  • ORACLE7 Distributed Option 7.1.3.0.0
  • PL/SQL 2.1.3.0.0
  • Oracle Toolkit 2.0.10.0.1
  • ORACLE7 XA Library 1.1.1.0.0
  • SQL*Forms 3.0.16.12.8
  • SQL*Menu 5.0.11.13.5
  • SQL*Report 1.1.10.3.1
  • SQL*ReportWriter 1.1.14.14.1
  • SQL*Plus 3.1.3.4.1
  • Oracle Server Manager 2.0.3.0.0
  • Oracle Data Query 3.1.0.7.1
  • SQL*Net TCP (V1) 1.2.7.8.1
  • SQL*Net V2 2.1.3.0.0
  • TCP/IP Protocol Adapter 2.1.3.0.0
  • CASE*Designer 1.1.21.8.0
  • CASE*Dictionary 5.0.22.9.0
  • CASE*Generator 2.0.8.2.0

Our DEC 2000-300 has 64Mbytes of memory, two 1Gbytes disks, video adapter Qvision and 14" monitor. The user interface (DECwindows) is based on OSF/Motif R1.2.2.

The Oracle products were being installed from CD-ROM in two stages (Oracle*Installer 3.0.10.1.0). At first all the above-listed products have been installed except CASE. According to the file "install.log" this installation was a success and all the products are at work now.

In the second stage CASE*Designer, CASE*Dictionary and CASE*Generator have been installed. As it was recommended in "Installation and Configuration Guide" (ICG) for DEC Alpha AXP OSF/1 (pages 6-3...6-8) some parameters of the file "init.ora" were modified before installation. This process also was a success, there is no information of any error in the file "install.log".

However immediately after the installation CASE-products proved to be disabled.

  1. As it was recommended in ICG the call of command file "oraenv" has been put at the end of startup files (".profile" in our case) for the "oracle" software owner and database users after the first stage of Oracle products installation. Then after the CASE-products installation according to the advice of ICG the call of "caseenv" has been put at the end of the ".profile" files. It was automatically made by the Installer for the "oracle" user.

But in the process of operating this command file turned out not to work properly and the environment variables for CASE are not defined.

As the analysis shows, at the end of the file "oraenv" the command "exec osh" calls the new shell having no limits for the user files size. However in this case the command "exec" interrupts the session completely and the command "caseenv" in the ".profile" file can never be fulfiled.

We see two solutions possible:

  1. to refuse the usage of the "oraenv" command in the ".profile" file and define the ORACLE_HOME variable explicitly;
  2. to call the command file "caseenv" manually after the beginning of the work of the new shell.

What would you recommend us to do in this situation?

While studying this problem the question arose: what is the way the following sequence of commands in the "oraenv" file works?

ULIMIT=`(ulimit) 2>/dev/null`
if [ $? = 0 -a "$ULIMIT" -lt 2113674 ] ; then

   ... exec osh ...
fi

The command "ulimit" in the OSF/1 returns not the single number (the maximum file size) as in System V but the sequence of strings like this:

vcputime unlimited
filesize unlimited
datasize 131072 kbytes
stacksize 2048 kbytes

.
.
.

Is it possible to compare these strings with the single number 2113674? While executing "oraenv" this comparing is always true and as a result "osh" is always called. Is it a mistake or we have misunderstood the sense of the commands?

2. Though the problem being solved, nevertheless we failed to start CASE*Designer because the Installer had not set the necessary fonts ("vtsingle", etc.) up. We could not find any mention of it in ICG except the description of installation of the fonts for X-terminal so we have installed the fonts manually as described. We should say that according to ICG this procedure needs using the utility "bdftosnf" which is not available in OSF/1 (but for this goal the utility "bdftopcf" must be used). In general we should admit that there are enormous number of mistakes and misprints in "Installation and Configuration Guide" for Alpha OSF/1, unnecessary references to SunOS and this ICG does not agree with TARG and SARG documents.

Is the Installer to set the fonts for CASE*Designer up automatically or it is a manual procedure ill-described in the documentation?

3. After the fonts installation we succeeded in starting CASE*Designer but we faced some problems we could not solve without your help:

  1. While creating any diagram (e.g. using "Entity Diagrammer" while drawing entity or relationship) there are "dirty" traces left on the screen and they can be removed only after rhe image refreshing with the help of the commands Edit, ZoomIn/ZoomOut or some other means.
  2. It is impossible to open previously saved ER or dataflow diagram. The "Open" command is fulfiled but there is no diagram image on the screen and the opening process is followed by appearing messages like "Unaccounted TOKEN 63, with datalen = 16" in the DXterm window. We even failed to open the tutorial example such as ER-diagram "SOE MAIN".

What would you advice us in this situation?

We hope for your help. With best wishes

Any pros or cons welcome!

Thanks, Stephan
Computer Center of Ukraine,
e-mail: sas_at_urt.kiev.ua Received on Sun Jan 22 1995 - 23:26:17 CET

Original text of this message