Oracle vs. Oracle Workgroup

From: Timothy Wong <roadgoat_at_crl.com>
Date: 21 Jan 1995 11:07:37 -0800

Here goes the basic breakdown: Oracle Workgroup server is full on Oracle7 without the distributed option and the parallel query options turned on. It's basically what Sybase and Microsoft is shipping today (no built in replication (buy replication server with Sybase or wait for SQL Server '95 <'96?>)).

It comes with Windows and Windows NT GUI applications that allow you do things like expand the database, add tables, turn the database off/on, things that you used to have to do via SQL*DBA commands (typing). Microsoft has been shipping stuff like this with SQL Server 4.2x. (they were kind of flaky though)..

The product comes pre tuned for a workgroup (100 or less). The GUI application lets you tune like 8 key parameters, but you can get access to the 200 plus other parameters via an "advanced user mode." This system is designed sites without a fully trained DBA.

For connectivity you get SQL*Net, ODBC, and OLE2. The OLE2 interface smokes ODBC big time, I've noticed 4x (IMHO).

RDBMS are still hard to use, Oracle Workgroup server makes it a little less of a drag. But I think all the major players are getting easier to use as the years go by . . .

--
Tim Wong
roadgoat_at_crl.com