Re: DB2 vs Oracle

From: Richard Finkelstein <finkel_at_links.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 1995 10:19:55

Hi Glen.

Thanks for the clarifications.

I do not know whether DB2/6000 will outperform Oracle on an RS6000 - I have heard mixed comments. I think one of the issues raised in this thread was whether it would cost $500,000 more in hardware to get Oracle to the same level as DB2/6000. While this is conceivable ( in my experiences with RDBMS anything is possible) , I would think that the salesperson should be more specific in which hardare areas this $500,000 in extra hardware (e.g., SMP box requirements as opposed to uniprocessor requirements) is required and under what conditions he believes this to be true (e.g. OLTP vs. decision support, etc.).

Regards,

Rich

In article <19950119.095558.573_at_almaden.ibm.com> Shef_at_VNET.IBM.COM (Glen Sheffield) writes:>From: Shef_at_VNET.IBM.COM (Glen Sheffield)
>Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 12:29:23 EST
>Subject: Re: DB2 vs Oracle

>In <finkel.113.0044CFE8_at_links.com> Richard Finkelstein writes:
>>
>>Hi Mike.
>>
>>I do not know exactly what the salesperson was referring to but it might be
>>the fact that IBM feels that its upcoming "share-nothing" DB2/6000
>>architecture may be more efficient and scalable than Oracle's SMP or cluster
>>architectures. I think that IBM may be able to make a case once the product is
>>out but since the new DB2/6000 is not available for release it is not possible
>>to evaluate these claims. The question is whether your company is at all
>>interested in evaluating beta software and are you willing to go ahead and
>>wait until it is actually released (or alternatively use beta copies during
>>your development). I doubt that DB2/6000 in its current production form can
>>outperform Oracle 7.1. Does anyone know when the new version of DB2/6000 will
>>be available.
>>
>>Of course all of this presupposes that performance and resource utilization is
>>an important requirement. It could be that other requirements are much more
>>important to your organization.
>>
>>Hope this helps a bit.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Rich

>However, I bet that even the current DB2/6000 production version (V 1.2) can
>outperform Oracle 7.1. I'd like to hear from anyone who has evidence to the
>contrary. It also uses less system resources (like server RAM).

>Regards,
>Glen Sheffield
>IBM Toronto Lab

Richard Finkelstein
Performance Computing, Inc.
312-549-8325 (Voice)
312-549-4824 (Fax) Received on Sat Jan 21 1995 - 10:19:55 CET

Original text of this message