Re: Win 3.1 to Wrkgrp Srvr 7 on NT prob

From: Eric Pierce <sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu>
Date: 21 Jan 1995 03:00:31 GMT

Jay D. Sullivan (70614.42_at_CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: (my appologies if I accidentally uploaded this twice)
:
: Hello, we have recently purchased Oracle Workgroup Server Version 7.0 for
: Windows NT and we are having problems getting Windows 3.1 clients on our Novell
: 3.11 network to connect to the Oracle server. I have installed the server and
: client software on our NT 3.5 486 and I have also installed the client software
: on one of our Windows 3.1 PCs.

Look in the WWW Oracle FAQ (http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/Oracle), I think he says NT 3.5 is a bad idea.

: Oracle tech support has not been very helpful. I had to go through three or
: four techs before I found someone who even knew what the Workgroup Server
: product was. ...

That usually means that they know, but do not want to admit that there is a problem supporting an OS version. (Otherwise people thinking about buying Oracle would say "are you really sure that Oracle won't run on my brand new wizzbang MS NT server? maybe I'll buy SQL Server instead")

: Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Not much. To impugn Oracle's marketing is really just an easy cheap shot!

:
: Jay D. Sullivan jsulliva_at_eag.mhs.compuserve.com
: --
: Jay D. Sullivan
: Economic Analysis Group, Ltd.
: jsulliva_at_eag.mhs.compuserve.com

Bye,

EP Received on Sat Jan 21 1995 - 04:00:31 CET

Original text of this message