Re: TWO VERSIONS OF ORACLE ON SAME VMS MACHINE

From: Brian Stanek <bstanek_at_indy.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 1995 02:18:15 GMT

Jef Kennedy (jkennedy_at_oracle.com) wrote:
: In article <3fh98q$gp8_at_olymp.CNB.CompuNet.DE>, Ulrich Rieger
: <uri_at_CNB.CompuNet.DE> wrote:

: > DAGMARA_at_news.delphi.com (DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM) wrote:
: > >
: > I think it will be NOT allowed to run an ORACLE V6 and V7 at the same
: > time on a AIX machine, because there are loaded "dynamic kernel
: > extensions" at system startup, which may only been loaded once !
: >
: > Ulrich Rieger, CompuNet GmbH

: Well, I'm not sure about AIX, but there is absolutely no problem running
: multiple versions of Oracle on VMS (or OpenVMS) systems. I've done it a
: whole lot for benchmarks. Oracle kernel development used to be on VMS
: systems, and believe me, each developer had at least a couple of her/his
: own versions running concurrently with everyone elses.

: Multiple versions? No problem on VMS.

: --
: Jef

The sharable images of SQL*Plus, Forms and Reports should not be run across multiple versions of the database. We took care of that by loading the production software into shared memory, and the other version was not run shared. This also required us to increase the quotas for all of the developers who were not running the shared version.

Brian Stanek
Profound Consulting Received on Sat Jan 21 1995 - 03:18:15 CET

Original text of this message