Re: Oracle Gateway for SQL/400??

From: Bill Manry - MainframeBmanryIntegration <bmanry_at_ibmgate-aix.us.oracle.com>
Date: 20 Jan 1995 16:58:21 GMT

Anders Volle (volle_at_oslonett.no) wrote:
>According to Ora. Corp there is a gateway product that enables an Oracle
>database to communicate with the SQL/400 database on a AS/400.

Hello Anders,

Just to clarify: Oracle has two gateways that provide access to AS/400 data. Both provide full read and write access to AS/400 tables, with write access integrity protected by Oracle's 2-phase commit mechanism. Which one you choose depends on your networking preferences, available machine resources, and other factors.

The Transparent Gateway for AS/400 runs on the AS/400 along with either SQL*Net TCP/IP or SQL*Net APPC. Oracle (UNIX or other) instances use SQL*Net to talk to the gateway; the gateway uses the AS/400's local access mechanism (SQL/400) to read and write AS/400 tables.

An alternative is the Transparent Gateway for DRDA, which runs on RS/6000 AIX, HP, and Sun Solaris. This product is based on IBM's DRDA protocol and uses SNA LU6.2 (native, not SQL*Net) communication between the UNIX box and the AS/400. Oracle instance(s) using the gateway typically are on the same system as the gateway but can also be remote, using any supported SQL*Net protocol for database-gateway communication. This gateway can also access other databases with "DRDA server" capability, including DB2/MVS and DB2/VM (aka SQL/DS).

These products have been shipping for quite a while, so perhaps we'll see followups from a user or two.

Hope this helps.

/b

Bill Manry - Mainframe and Integration Technologies - Oracle Corporation Standard disclaimer applies. Received on Fri Jan 20 1995 - 17:58:21 CET

Original text of this message