Newbie question about SQL*Net

From: <greera_at_ucs.orst.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 00:00:46 GMT

Hi,

I was wondering whether SQL*Net was the *only* way to access Oracle databases? Are there any (cheaper) third party tools that will let a client system query an Oracle DB? We're looking at a number of end-user reporting and query tools (on MAC or Windows) to access Oracle data on DEC Alpha 7620 with Open VMS and cost of SQL*Net for each user (1000+) is quite expensive.

Does anyone have experience using ODBC or some sort of terminal emulation that connects to Oracle DBs to retrieve info without using SQL*Net?? Or is this even possible?

Thanks for any help.

Allen Greer
Oregon State University
greera_at_ucs.orst.edu Received on Thu Jan 12 1995 - 01:00:46 CET

Original text of this message