Search and Replace through dump file

From: Mr Deeley <esrkq_at_warwick.ac.uk>
Date: 10 Jan 1995 17:00:23 GMT

I want to update all occurrences of an item of data across multiple tables. Unfortunately this item of data resides in a key field in many tables. The integrity constraints are preventing a simple table by table update. It would be a long and arduous job to individually insert new records into all the tables and then go back and delete all the old records. I am considering exporting all tables and replacing the item of data within the dmp file and then re-importing.

Do you know of a suitable tool under Unix to carry out the search and replace ?

Has anyone tried this and did it work ?

Can anyone identify potential pitfalls or identify a better way of achieving the same result.

Many Thanks. Received on Tue Jan 10 1995 - 18:00:23 CET

Original text of this message