Re: CREATE USER via PL/SQL

From: Burton V. Peltier <ep94bvps_at_shell.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 1995 20:45:00 GMT

Frank Greene <74200.427_at_CompuServe.COM> writes:

>We are developing a new system using powerbuilder as a front end
>into V7. Is there any method whereby we can issue a CREATE /
>ALTER / DELETE user command from within PL/SQL Procedures. That
>is

> BEGIN
> CREATE USER user1 IDENTIFIED BY password1;
> END;

>This obviously gives a compilation error as shown.

You should be able to do this in Version 7.1.3 with the new 'dynamic sql' capability in 7.1.3 .

>I also tried to start a sql script from within a procedure but
>this also causes an error. So does trying to start a sql script
>direct from the operating system via the HOST variable.

This will only be possible if you use 'database pipes' , which is available in prior to Version 7.1.3 (like 7.0.16) .

>We need to use procedures to link powerbuilder to oracle, so the
>answer to this is quite importantant to our development effort.

>Suggestions as to how to work around this limitation???

* Burt Peltier / Shell Offshore /    burt_at_shell.com *
* (504) 588-0179 701 Poydras #1660 New Orleans 70139*