Re: TWO VERSIONS OF ORACLE ON SAME VMS MACHINE

From: Bob King <rking_at_dfw.net>
Date: 7 Jan 1995 12:00:38 GMT

In article <jmcarthy.3.0539E300_at_YorkU.CA>, jmcarthy_at_YorkU.CA says...

>We are relatively new to both VMS and Oracle. We are currently running
 12-15
>SIDS on a single VMS machine (OpenVMS 6.1 AXP), with Oracle 7.0.
>
>In looking ahead to migrating to Oracle 7.1, we are not sure what
 implications
>there are. Obviously, we do not want to migrate everything at one swell
 foop,
>we would prefer to do it one SID at a time.
>
>Oracle assures us that this can be done, but cannot tell us HOW. We
 assume
>that it is done by installing the new release in a separate directory,
 and
>fiddling with logicals and/or symbols. We're not sure how to tell which
>shareable installed image to use for which SID.
>
>Has anybody had multiple versions of Oracle running simultaneously on the
 same
>machine ? If so, could you please be so kind as to send me a list of the
 steps
>that need to be done to make this work ?
>
>Yours,
>
>John McCarthy (jmcarthy_at_YorkU.CA)
>York University
>(416) 736-2100 x 22865

It's really not too difficult, but I haven't done it in a while.

  • Try these steps with care - 1. Install The new version in a new Oracle home (ora_root) site. You might even create a small database to make sure things work. 2. Shut down the first instance to move and back it up throughly. 3. In the new Ora_root, run Oracleins and create a new instance with the same SID and db name as the one to be moved. This will create the db_dbname directory and update a couple of files. 4. Delete the files from the NEW db_dbname directory and copy the files form the old one to this. check all the COM files for references to the old ora_root ( most places will reference ora_root, but some times they don't). 5. Start up the instance. run the upgrade scripts from the documentation.

6 You should be up and running the new instance. 7. Take out any comfiles that would try to start up the instance from the OLD db_dbname location.

 !!!! If I have left out any major steps, somebody please respond !! Received on Sat Jan 07 1995 - 13:00:38 CET

Original text of this message