Re: Forms 3.0 question: Return & Next-Fld keys

From: David George <gord2394_at_bcit.bc.ca.>
Date: 5 Jan 1995 23:05:12 GMT

"Guerry Semones <guerry_at_iluvatar.tip.duke.edu>" <guerry_at_iluvatar> wrote:

> On 5 Jan 1995, David Hiltz wrote:
>

> > Is there a way to stop the Return key from performing a next-field
> > function? I already have the TAB key for this purpose (vt100 terminal
> > type). In the "show keys" screen, Next Field is defined as TAB, and the
> > Return key is simply Return. So why does Return take me to the next field?
> >
> > I ultimately would like to use the Return key for another purpose, can
> > this be done?

Guerry is right to suggest Oracle*Terminal to modify the Return key functionality. Though I think it is important to note that the Return key (really the Return Function) is context sensitive. In that depending on whether you are in a list or field or ... , different functionality will be invoked by Forms. Be sure that if you want to map the Return KEY to something else, then map another key to the Return FUNCTION. Trying to mimic the return FUNCTION by adding FUNCTION sequences to other keys is a nasty and invariably unsatisfying experience.

David George
Systems Analyst
BCIT gord2394_at_bcit.bc.ca

Disclaimer: I don't always agree with what I say. Received on Fri Jan 06 1995 - 00:05:12 CET

Original text of this message