Re: Configuring RAID for best Oracle performanc

From: Henry Newman <hsn_at_instrumental.com>
Date: 5 Jan 1995 16:30:19 GMT

In article 0501950848470001_at_hou01.onramp.net, pinnacle_at_onramp.net (Pat Kelly) writes: ......
>Any suggestions regarding RAID configuration and other potential
>bottlenecks would be greatly appreciated.
>
>P.S. And a fundamental question: should we use RAID at all or just use the
>disks as if they were five regular drives? AIX itself can mirror disks
>without the use of RAID.

Before deciding which RAID level to even consider you need to determine:

     the average request size that will be done
     the average time spent in seek and rotational latency

Then you can determine the crossover point (the amount of data that could be transfered during the average seek and latency). If you have small requests then consider RAID5 with larger requests RAID3 becomes a reasonable option. Without large requests RAID3 could significantly reduce performance.

---
Henry Newman
Performance Analyst

Performance and Accounting Tools        Voice (612)-920-6188
Instrumental Inc.			Fax 612-920-7069
4500 Park Glen Rd.  Suite 390           Internet: hsn_at_instrumental.com
Minneapolis, Mn. 55416			http://www.instrumental.com