TWO VERSIONS OF ORACLE ON SAME VMS MACHINE

From: John McCarthy <jmcarthy_at_YorkU.CA>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 15:05:07 GMT

We are relatively new to both VMS and Oracle. We are currently running 12-15 SIDS on a single VMS machine (OpenVMS 6.1 AXP), with Oracle 7.0.

In looking ahead to migrating to Oracle 7.1, we are not sure what implications there are. Obviously, we do not want to migrate everything at one swell foop, we would prefer to do it one SID at a time.

Oracle assures us that this can be done, but cannot tell us HOW. We assume that it is done by installing the new release in a separate directory, and fiddling with logicals and/or symbols. We're not sure how to tell which shareable installed image to use for which SID.

Has anybody had multiple versions of Oracle running simultaneously on the same machine ? If so, could you please be so kind as to send me a list of the steps that need to be done to make this work ?

Yours,

John McCarthy (jmcarthy_at_YorkU.CA) York University
(416) 736-2100 x 22865 Received on Thu Jan 05 1995 - 16:05:07 CET

Original text of this message