Archive process too slow - please help

From: Barry Roomberg <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 1995 21:36:00 -0500

-> My archive background process cannot keep up with the database
-> writer. Even though we have more than 1Gbyte of redologs, I end up
-> getting the error "All online redologs needed archiving" because the
-> archive process is too slow, and it is still working on the
-> redolog file that is needed by the database writer.
->
-> We figure we could work around this by adding even more disk space
-> for the redologs, but I'm wondering if there are any other
-> alternatives.

What are you archiving TO?
If this is a slow tape, but the system does not have any dead time, then you are prolonging the inevitible by add redo logs.

Archive to another disk, and cut tape(s) from that. With this approach, you can run multiple tapes at the same time.

Internet: barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com (Barry Roomberg)