Re: Oracle web site???

From: Craig Sivils <csivils_at_Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>
Date: 4 Jan 1995 14:35:37 -0600

>I've got "Bronze" support for the Netware server, and it includes
>internet email access to the RTSS at Oracle. This allows you to
>create and track a support request (aka "TAR"). and look in the
>bug/fix database that Oracle support uses.

We have Bronze support, and in the tradition of doing my homework, I contacted some friends who had used the email support. None were happy with the response time. Some simple things that would be too fantastic to believe. And for all of em, if they needed to be controled access by csci number to make sure they were available only to those who purchased support, fine with me.

What if Oracle had a private news feed with specific discussion groups so that I could post questions (like we do here) and have Oracle technical people answer them or even allow oracle people to post hint columns there, online. I'd be more than happy to do the browsing to see if my "problem" had already been answered, or to see others problems to know what pitfalls might lie ahead, and how to avoid them. I've been told that something like this is available on compuserve, but I don't like the concept of paying someone to get connectivity to use the support I paid someone else for. To head off the obvious question, the difference between this suggestion and this news group are 1: specific organization to allow easier search for answers and 2: Answers from Oracle Technical staff. Oracle could even provide incredible support this WITHOUT having to dedicate people to this, their developers already share things through the companies internal mail/bbs, if they just had an extra recipient, or a check box that could designate that the message was appropriate for public knowledge, it could be posted automatically to the bbs.

What if Oracle would put tech tips/common problem solutions together, and put them on a web server, resulting in the internet equivalent of powersoft's fax bax service. You could even make the file names numbers, and sell the index with the support package as a possible way to control access, or use the csci verification method, whatever.

Oracle is heading in the right direction, I have been using their web server, its a good start. But things like having to go under News, Announcements to get technical speifications on the CDE2 tools, while finding not any mention of CDE2 under the products link, can be quite frustrating. If I didn't KNOW it was there, I never would have found it. Ironically, I've heard the same comments about Oracle tech manuals, and I can find my way around them just fine. Maybe the problem is I haven't converted myself to think in Oracle Web think to realize that the CDE2 tech description and the news release of Oracle being used for a womens health initiative have a subtle symmerty that demands the two be linked off the same page. I guess I'll do the same thing with the web server I did with the manuals, read from one end to the other and remember where stuff is.

Craig Received on Wed Jan 04 1995 - 21:35:37 CET

Original text of this message