Re: tablespace 'SYSTEM'

From: <jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>
Date: 3 Jan 95 15:51:23 EST

In article <D1tnsp.D9F_at_mail.auburn.edu>, moorthy_at_eng.auburn.edu (Moorthy N. Rekapalli) writes:
> I am trying to create a default block. When I am saving the form, I am getting the error:
> ORA-01547: failed to allocate extent of size 62 in tablespace 'SYSTEM'
>
> But, I could generate and execute the form. What do I need to do to save the form in this situation.
>
> Where can I find the solutions for ORA-xxxxx errors. I have SQL*Forms Designer's reference, in which there are only FRM-xxxxx errors.
>
> Thanks in Advance.

When you 'save' a form in SQLFORMS, it actually saves the form definition in ORACLE tables owned by the SYSTEM account. In your case, the save operation is filling up the existing space allocated to those tables, ORACLE is requesting more, and you don't have any in the SYSTEM tablespace (or, there isn't a large enough contiguous extent, which amounts to the same thing).

A couple of options:

  1. Don't 'save' your forms. I am not a forms expert, but I think that this option is only needed when you are sharing stuff (technical term) between multiple forms. If you actually run your forms from the .frm files, you don't need to save them to the database. The 'generate' command builds the .frm and .inp files.

   You can delete existing forms from the database using the 'delete' option    in SQLFORMS.

2. Move the forms tables into a different tablespace.

   ORACLE strongly recommends that you only put data dictionary tables in the    SYSTEM tablespace. They recommend that you create a separate tablespace    to store FORMS, REPORTWRITER, and MENU tables. The general convention is to    use the name 'TOOLS'.

   Even if you decide to do #1, I would still suggest that you get these tables    out of the system tablespace. The easiest way to do this is to drop them    and rebuild them with oracleins (VMS) or orainst (UNIX). If you don't want    to lose the data in those tables, you would need to export them, drop them    recreate them under the new tablespace, and then import.

3. Add another data file to the system tablespace.

   This is probably the easiest, but I would recommend against it. Do #2.

Hope this helps.

Bob

--
Bob Swisshelm                | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com     | 317 276 5472
Eli Lilly and Company        | Lilly Corporate Center  | Indianapolis, IN 46285