Re: $200 oracle?

From: Alvar1 <alvar1_at_aol.com>
Date: 2 Jan 1995 13:35:49 -0500

In article: (kenho.175.2EF6B47E_at_hk.super.net> kenho_at_hk.super.net writes

kenho>
kenho> In article <3d05tp$635$1_at_mhadg.production.compuserve.com> Frank
kenho> Greene <74200.427_at_CompuServe.COM> writes:
kenho>
kenho> >Recent spate of articles in the literature that Oracle is going
kenho> >to introduce a 'full featured' version 7 for use on PCs at
kenho> around >$200. Anyone heard anything about this? Devlivery,
kenho> limits, etc.
kenho>
kenho> I guess you are talking about 'Project X'.
kenho>
kenho> I have seen the beta version of this product.
kenho>
kenho> It is a single user version of Oracle 7 (they call it the BLAZE
kenho> engine) with a LOT of things are not available. e.g. stored
kenho> procedures, database trigger.
kenho>
kenho> It is a development environment so that you can create forms and
kenho> reports. However, the scripting lanaguage is not PL/SQL but
kenho> something like VB...

I'm sure I saw the same the beta version of the product, but I'm guessing that what we will see may be different in the initial release. A few people at Oracle have assured me of a 1stQ 95 release of a "Local" Oracle database for PC's, but there have been no comittments to the VB like programming interface. I guess that they need and "Object Oriented enviroment" to compete against Gupta and Powerbuilder (Now owned by Sybase), but it may be 2nd Q of 95?... Received on Mon Jan 02 1995 - 19:35:49 CET

Original text of this message