Re: running forms 3.0 apps under Windows?

From: Keith Matthews <keithm_at_sweeney.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 15:07:29 +0000

In article <3dpe1f$ji8_at_digdug.pencom.com> dae_at_pencom.com "David Elliott" writes:

> I have several sql*forms 3.0 applications that were developed under DOS and run >
> under DOS, but now a few Windows users want to run them, too.
>
> Is this the kind of thing that will "just work"? Or do I need to run
>
> some Windows-specific software in order for this to happen?
>
> Specifically, I'm presuming I'll need the Windows version of sql*net (we're
>
> running in a Netware IPX/SPX environment with the NLM version of Oracle7).
>
> Might I also need the Windows version of "runform"?
> without re-writing the application.
>
> David Elliott
> Pencom Software
> Austin, Texas
> 512-343-6666
> dae_at_pencom.com

Apart from the sql*net matter you need do nothing. There is a windows specific version of runform but it has limitations, especially if you are using monitors larger than the standard 14". (Try imagining a window 6 inches by 3 on a 17 inch monitor !).

The snag comes if your users are running Windows in extended mode. With Win 3.1 on a 486SX the DOS version of runform caused the m/c to reboot when run in windows extended mode. Standard mode was fine. The windows version of runform is happy in extended mode.

--
Keith Matthews                "A consultant is someone who learns by other
                               peoples's mistakes"