Forms 3.0 - unaligned access pid= or Memory fault ERRORS

From: Laura Gerlinsky <gerli_at_bcsc02.gov.bc.ca>
Date: 30 Dec 1994 21:13:42 GMT

I am trying to create a form to maintain codes. I have successfully created 17 others forms just like this one with the same triggers and procedures...basically the only thing different between the previous forms and this form is the table name and field names. Generating the form always says its fine.

The problem is when running this form, Forms dies and I get either "Unaligned access pid=..." or "Memory fault" as a Unix error. Forms seems to cleanup everything properly.

   Versions:   SQL*Forms           3.0.16.12.8
               PL/SQL (in Forms)   01.00.39.00.01
               RDBMS               7.0.15.4.2

Oracle support's answer is to upgrade to version 7.0.16 or 7.1.?. If the other 17 forms would fail I would probably be forced to upgrade, but why do 17 work and the 18th one fail?

I have tried to re-create the form from scratch - still fails. I have tried copying the a good INP file and just changing the table name and field names - still fails. I have created a bare bones forms with no triggers other than a KEY-STARTUP that does "execute_query" - still fails.

Usually I get the error when I press the EXIT key, but it has failed when I was using the DOWN key at different records. I have checked the data and everything seems ok. I tried putting in a KEY-EXIT trigger and turned DEBUG on...it hit the KEY-EXIT trigger and once I press a key - failure!

If anyone can shed some light on this, please do! Thanks in advance.
Please email me directly: gerli_at_bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

Below are the table structures...if you are interested:

SQL> descr exception_titles

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 ROLLUP_INTO_SECTION             NOT NULL VARCHAR2(4)
 TITLE                           NOT NULL VARCHAR2(75)

Primary constraint on exception_titles.rollup_into_section

SQL> descr exception_invoked

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 ECOD_SECTION_NUM                NOT NULL VARCHAR2(4)
 ECOD_SUB_SECTION_NUM                     VARCHAR2(4)
 ECOD_SUB_SUB_SECTION_NUM                 VARCHAR2(4)
 ECOD_DEFINITION                          VARCHAR2(75)
 ECOD_SDESC                               VARCHAR2(25)  -> not used anymore
 ROLLUP_INTO                     NOT NULL VARCHAR2(4)

Referential constraint on exception_invoked.rollup_into refering to exception_titles.rollup_into_section

SQL> descr ar_exception

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 AR_KEY                          NOT NULL NUMBER(6)
 EXC_KEY                         NOT NULL NUMBER(6)
 EXC_MINISTRY_ACRONYM            NOT NULL VARCHAR2(3)
 EXC_AR_YEAR                     NOT NULL NUMBER(2)
 EXC_AR_NUM                      NOT NULL NUMBER(4)
 EXC_SECTION                     NOT NULL VARCHAR2(4)
 EXC_SUB_SECTION                          VARCHAR2(4)
 EXC_SUB_SUB_SECTION                      VARCHAR2(4)

Primary constraint on ar_exception.exc_key

Unique constraint on ar_exception.ar_key,

.exc_section,
.exc_sub_section,
.exc_sub_sub_section
Unique constraint on ar_exception.exc_ministry_acronym,
.exc_ar_year,
.exc_ar_num,
.exc_section,
.exc_sub_section,
.exc_sub_sub_section

Referential constraint on ar_exception.ar_key refering to another table not listed above.

The relationship between these tables are:

    ar_exception.exc_section
                .exc_sub_section
                .exc_sub_sub_section   MUST EXIST IN  exception_invoked

    The combo of ar_exception.ar_key,
                             .exc_section,
                             .exc_sub_section,
                             .exc_sub_sub_section  MUST BE UNIQUE.

    exception_invoked.rollup_into      MUST EXIST IN  exception_titles