Stuck Archiver - ORA-0257 - Oracle 6

From: Ronald Pierce <rpierce_at_earth.execpc.com>
Date: 29 Dec 1994 14:08:43 -0600

I run Oracle 6 on a Data General Unix machine. A Online backup was running, and in the middle, the cpio to tape ran out of room on the tape (I believe), causing the process to hang. It was run from a cron job and I did not get any notice that it did not complete, other than users can not connect to the database. They get the ORA-0257.

I believe it is stuck in between a
alter tablespace system begin backup; and a alter tablespace system end backup;

Entering sqldba and performing a 'alter tablespace system end backup;' after connecting internal causes that terminal to hang. (Must ctl-C to break out.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

  • Ron Pierce - rpierce_at_execpc.com