Re: Using `export` to write to tape

From: Jonathan Lewis <Jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 20:32:24 +0000

An alternative approach to the problem of a very large export file with insufficient disk space is to compress the export on the fly. This is a three step process:

Create a Unix PIPE with the

    mknod p my_pipe
command.

Run the compress command redirecting output to a file, and redirecting input from the pipe (in background)

    compress < my_pipe > my_expdat.dmp.Z &

Run the export naming the pipe as the export file.

I have found (from _limited_ experience) that this seems to work faster than a simple export, the amount of disk space required is about 1/4 of that required by the full export, and the subsequent tar will obviously be faster.

--
Jonathan Lewis