Re: Using `export` to write to tape

From: Youri N. Podchosov <ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 19:27:10 EST

In article <1994Dec28.160105.22140_at_nosc.mil>, vergara_at_nosc.mil (Michael P. Vergara) writes:
|> In article <3dq5bi$mef_at_turtle.mrj.com>,
|> John P. Lybrand <jlybrand_at_mrj.com> wrote:
|> >
|> >We want save the results of an `export` command to tape. I know that we
 can
|> >`export` data to a file and then `tar` the file to tape. However, the
 result
|> >of the `export` is a 1.6 GB file, and we do not have that much scratch disk
|> >space. We tried piping the results of `export` to `tar` but `tar` expects
|> >see a list of files and not the data. The result is that `tar` tries to
 find
|> >files with names corresponding to each line of data.
|>
|> You might try this. Mount the tape, and then when you do the export,
|> give the fully qualified path name to a file on the tape device, ie:
|> '/rmt/tn0/expdat.dmp' where '/rmt/tn0' is the tape device. This

|> style of command used to work in DOS, where we could export directly to
|> a floppy. Real slow, but it worked.
|>
|> Mike

A little correction: if you're working in UNIX (and otherwise why would you want tar?), use just device name, like /dev/rct0, *without* file name (expdat.dmp) because file name makes sense only in a filesystem structure while in this case tape is not a device containing valid UNIX filesystem (unlike floppy in DOS).

| Youri N. Podchosov (ynp) *** Davidsohn & Son, Inc. NYC *** 718-234-4140 | | Internet: ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net CIS: 72723,2202 AOL: ynp, yourip |