Re: Oracle support: we give up

From: kp <kp_at_mdi.gwinnett.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 04:17:12 GMT

In article <D17u2H.oFr_at_pen.k12.va.us> epperson_at_pen.k12.va.us (W. C. Epperson) writes:
>Our attempts to upgrade from 6.0.36 to 6.0.37 in order to maintain V6 support
>while we plan our V7 migration have been futile. Oracle Support has been less
>than worthless through the entire effort, which is typical of our experience
>with their service offerings. We currently find that although SQLdba and
>SQLPlus recognize and use the connect string in the TWO_TASK environment
>variable, the other tools do not. We got to this point of buggy functionality
>only by hacking our way through install scripts and makefiles with syntax
>errors and brain-dead logic ("chmod 644 $file;./$file").

What! Are you actually trying to use oracle's install scripts? Don't do that; they never work. You have to reverse engineer the whole thing and create your own install scripts (you can have a working V6 database that takes up about 10MB disk space (plus database) for the /usr/oracle directory).

My favorite one is when installing Oracle V7.1.3 on AIX (sucks) from a CD, Oracle's install script tries to create temporary files on the CD!

>Given the value-subtracted nature of Oracle support, we are rolling back to
>version 6.0.36, reasoning that a non-supported working version beats hell
>out of a supported non-working version.

6.0.36 works!

>Oracle support: go forth and multiply.

Or at least go.

>W.C. Epperson "These are my opinions and not those of
>Sr. SE the Virginia Department of Education."
>Va. Dept. of Ed.

Keith Peterson    | The problem with the "School of     |  kp_at_mdi.gwinnett.com
Majure Data, Inc  | Hard Knocks" is that you get the    | Voice (404) 587-1031
993 Mansell Road  | final exam first and afterward      |   Fax (404) 594-9224
Roswell, GA       | learn what the course is all about. |  Info (404) 555-1212