Re: Naive view of Oracle on RAID Subsystem?

From: Don Vick <dvick_at_lanier.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 15:11:25 GMT

In article <3dpv5m$15l_at_jeeves.niehs.nih.gov>, Dean Fuqua <fuqua_at_niehs.nih.gov> wrote:
> I am new to Oracle and I am currently setting up
>a scientific database using Oracle 7 on a DEC Alpha
>2100 with a 10GB RAID5 disk array.
>
>In the docs, (maunals and the DBA Handbook) there
>is EXTENSIVE talk about how you should make sure
>that to increase recoverablility and decrease process
>I/O contention you should perform a stringent
>analyzation of your database's needs.
>
>I can well see the need of this for a system where
>you have JBOD, but we have a RAID5 array....
>This seems to reduce most of the topics discussed
>in the docs to nothing, at least the way I see it...

I haven't heard any definitive answers yet, but RAID technology is causing lots of people to rethink the common wisdom on performance and tuning. (I actually heard of a case where the task scheduling algorithm in an OS kernel had to be redesigned because the fast disk access had invalidated the scheduling policies.) It also seems that RAID calls into question some of the guidelines people use for managing fragmentation, number of extents, etc.

Donald E. Vick (dvick_at_lanier.com, dvick_at_crl.com) Voice: (404) 493-2194 Fax: (404) 493-2399 Received on Wed Dec 28 1994 - 16:11:25 CET

Original text of this message