Re: Using `export` to write to tape

From: Michael P. Vergara <vergara_at_nosc.mil>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 16:01:05 GMT

In article <3dq5bi$mef_at_turtle.mrj.com>, John P. Lybrand <jlybrand_at_mrj.com> wrote:

>We want save the results of an `export` command to tape. I know that we can
>`export` data to a file and then `tar` the file to tape. However, the result
>of the `export` is a 1.6 GB file, and we do not have that much scratch disk
>space. We tried piping the results of `export` to `tar` but `tar` expects to
>see a list of files and not the data. The result is that `tar` tries to find
>files with names corresponding to each line of data.

You might try this. Mount the tape, and then when you do the export, give the fully qualified path name to a file on the tape device, ie: '/rmt/tn0/expdat.dmp' where '/rmt/tn0' is the tape device. This style of command used to work in DOS, where we could export directly to a floppy. Real slow, but it worked.

Mike

Mike Vergara           |   Be good...and you will be lonesome
vergara_at_nosc.mil       |                                       Jimmy Buffett
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of anyone else but me.  So there.