type conversion in comparisons?

From: L. Carl Pedersen <l.carl.pedersen_at_dartmouth.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 17:35:05 -0500

can anyone tell me what the conversion rules are for simple comparisons, such as:

    where x = y

?

what i want to know is what happens if x and y are not the same type, e.g., if x is a character and y is a number. does it convert x to a number or y to a character?

i'm assuming x is a column reference. y might be an expression or another column reference. i imagine those cases might differ. i'm also interested in other comparison operators like <, >, and !=. they don't all seem to act the same.

my experiments seem to show inconsistent results and (i claim) the documentation is not clear on this issue. maybe i'm being dumb. Received on Tue Dec 27 1994 - 23:35:05 CET

Original text of this message