Re: Hardware for 200GB+ DB ?

From: <smith117_at_delphi.com>
Date: Sun, 25 DEC 94 08:54:11 -0500

Bob Stewart <bob_at_musem.earthlink.net> writes:

>Thanks for the comment, Dan. But why? What makes SGI or DEC special?
>SGI has fast graphics, but they have specialized graphics hardware,
>and often use 8bit hardware at that to get speed. I have no knowledge
>of their ability to handle large DBs. Same with DEC. I've heard of
>them, they're big, but so is IBM. What specifically makes either of
>these vendors worth my $350k?
>
>In addition, would you recommend that I go with these vendors arrays,
>or go with some, specific, third party?

Hi,

I assume that this post will reach you after the DEC/SGI wars.

As to Why? Database code doesn't always use the FP capability of some of these RISC processors, so you end up running at clock speed. SGI and DEC both run 200 MHz plus, with large scalability in processors and memory.

DEC's os has been 64 bit from day one, giving it an innate ability to use large memory and disk. I will peruse the SGI marketing responses and see if IRIX has become a true 64 bit OS.

Challenge L or DEC Turbo-Laser were the machine's I had in mind when I posted. They have a higher up front investment, but are the most nondisruptive  when you have to upgrade capacity.

As far as disk arrays are concerned, I'm a fan of host based RAID, with non-specialized controllers. You get more flexibility at a lower cost. IMHO   Dan Received on Sun Dec 25 1994 - 14:54:11 CET

Original text of this message