Re: Oracle and Non-Green Card Indians

From: David Smith at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo <smith_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 22:17:55 GMT

Avinash Patil (patil_at_ganak.tay.dec.com) wrote:

: In article <smithD15KrB.J0p_at_netcom.com>, smith_at_netcom.com ( David Smith at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo) writes:

: |>Boy, Hank, you're a sharpie. You smoked me out. That standard joke really
: |>did the trick. I should have recognized that from all the times I watch
: |>Leno and Letterman. Yes, I am a non-Green card Indian. My real name is
: |>Sanji Gupta. I was brought here after my post-graduate work in India to
: |>work for Oracle in Worldwide Technical Support. I was fired after 3 months
: |>for suggesting that we non-citizen Indians be paid what the citizens were

: |>making. I was told that if they had to pay me what they paid the citizens,
: |>they never would have brought me over in the first place. I am glad I am
: |>out now, but do still hold a grudge that they think they can treat their
: |>H1 Indian employees in a sub-standard manner. I was not impressed with the
: |>management there, and feel that they are the types who need cheap foreign
: |>labor in order to cover up their ineptness.

: How is this possible?

: I believe that H1 visa rules clearly spell out that the temporary non-citizen,
: non-green-card-holder worker MUST be paid same prevailing wages as
: citizen/resident worker. In fact the American company (eg Oracle) must provide
: substantial documentation to the US Immigration and Labor department fulfilling
: this condition. If a US company is not following the rules for H1 visa then it
: is subject to fines/penalties under the law.

Well, Avinash, we have strict laws ON THE BOOKS, enforcing penalties against any employer who hires illegal aliens. Illegal aliens still come to this country by the hundreds of thousands per year. If they don't enforce the illegal alien laws, do you really think they are enforcing the H1 Visa rules? And besides, we are not hired directly by Oracle Corporation, but placed their trhough a third party agency, in most cases. Received on Fri Dec 23 1994 - 23:17:55 CET

Original text of this message