Re: oraperl, os2 and oracle 7

From: <bruening_at_wmd.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 94 11:49:21 GMT

In <3dci9q$50n_at_osiris.wu-wien.ac.at>, Rony.Flatscher_at_wu-wien.ac.at writes:

>Arne:
>
>There *is* an oraperl for OS/2 (and perl itself too) available (don't know about
>its quality though). Try
> ftp://ftp-os2.cdrom.com/pub/os2/32bit/unix/oraperl2.zip

already ordered, thanks

>Basically all of the GNU-stuff is available for OS/2, even various GNU-compilers.
>
>If ORACLE was to support OS/2, then they could make all of our lives a *lot* easier,
>either by providing a REXX-interface (as they do for the IBM mainframes) or by
>supplying a REXX-interfaced ODBC- or IDAPI-driver.

For OS/2-only developement you are right. We are developing systems usually based on Oracle on different platforms. Many of our db-developers use oraperl on UNIX-machines. If we have a running oraperl/2, we can use the same scripts for Oracle on OS/2. That's very usefull for us.

>Just look at the direct REXX-interface of IBM with their DB/2 for OS/2 (which
>becomes better and better); I never have experienced an *easier* way to interface
>with a relational database. Given all the Visual REXX-development environments
>for OS/2 this would be even more attractive. I have been hoping of ORACLE
>becoming WARPed, instead they seem to loose another year or more concentrating
>all their resources to Windows. :-(

Oracle's OS/2-support has been very good, but they are always building their own solutions for existing things. So I don't think they will give us a REXX-interface.

        Arne

---*** last beta signature. Release-version soon to be released ***---

Arne Bruening, WMD GmbH, Hamburg, Germany