Re: A Pro*C question..

From: Tim Smith <tssmith_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 03:31:40 GMT

vasudevy_at_eng.auburn.edu (Vasudev V. Yendapally) writes:
> I'm trying to "describe" a given table and get the
>table attributes into some variable names. I'm able to
>execute any statements that involve "SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE,
>DELETE " but when it comes to "describe tablename" no
>action is performed and I simply exit the program.
>Can someone explain me how I can get these variables to
>be stored and can be displayed (using Pro*c ofcourse!)?

DESCRIBE is not a standard SQL DML command, like SELECT, INSERT, etc. To describe a table into a descriptor that contains fields for column name, column datatype, column size, etc. you have to use dynamic SQL. Read up on dynamic SQL method 4 in the Pro*C documentation.

--Tim (tssmith_at_oracle.com) Received on Fri Dec 23 1994 - 04:31:40 CET

Original text of this message