Oracle support: we give up

From: W. C. Epperson <epperson_at_pen.k12.va.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 14:11:05 GMT

Our attempts to upgrade from 6.0.36 to 6.0.37 in order to maintain V6 support while we plan our V7 migration have been futile. Oracle Support has been less than worthless through the entire effort, which is typical of our experience with their service offerings. We currently find that although SQLdba and SQLPlus recognize and use the connect string in the TWO_TASK environment variable, the other tools do not. We got to this point of buggy functionality only by hacking our way through install scripts and makefiles with syntax errors and brain-dead logic ("chmod 644 $file;./$file").

Given the value-subtracted nature of Oracle support, we are rolling back to version 6.0.36, reasoning that a non-supported working version beats hell out of a supported non-working version.

Oracle support: go forth and multiply.

W.C. Epperson                  "These are my opinions and not those of
Sr. SE                          the Virginia Department of Education."
Va. Dept. of Ed. Received on Thu Dec 22 1994 - 15:11:05 CET

Original text of this message