Re: Oracle Pro C problem

From: Brian W. Gardner <bgardner_at_infinet.com>
Date: 21 Dec 1994 15:49:29 GMT

Jorn Horvik (jornh_at_albatross.no) wrote:
: When I retrieve character strings from the database, the strings are
: padded with blanks. This makes string comparision a bit difficult.

: The question is does anyone know how to avoid the strings being padded
: with blanks?
If you are using Pro*C 1.5 or later, you can do the following, which is described in the section on datatype equivalencing in the precompilers guide(s).

    EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION;     char emp_name[11];
    EXEC SQL VAR emp_name IS STRING (11);

    EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION; In this way, when ORACLE fetches the data, the blank-padded character variable is converted to a NULL terminated string.

You can also just write a function that starts at the end of the variable, and goes backwards until it finds a non-space, and drop a null there.

--
Brian W. Gardner                       "Captain, I protest; I am not a
495 Park Blvd.                          merry man!" - Lt. Worf