Re: Oracle7 and Microsoft Query

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 94 13:16:15 GMT

James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov (Lawrence James) wrote:
>In article <tcsmith.74.0013C3AA_at_csi.nb.ca> tcsmith_at_csi.nb.ca (Tim Smith) writes:
>>running fine ( I have no problems using SQL*Plus).. when I try to connect to
>>the database I get the following error message in a pop-up d-box...

>>"ORA-09241:Message not found;product=RDBMS;facility=ORA;language=NULL"

>>Can anyone help me out here?
>
>You can't use the ODBC driver from MS, it's for V6 Oracle.
>

>>-Tim

Sure you can!

The Microsoft "sqora.dll" ODBC driver works just fine with Oracle 7, albeit without the ability to take advantage of features not common to both. ORA-9241 errors are usually caused by not having the PATH environment variable set properly or having a version of ora6win.dll before the 10/93 version or not having the CONFIG environment variable set to point to the ORACLE.INI file. Or not having SQL*Net installed at all :-) (Though that is not the case here.) Improper setup of the ODBC data source can also cause this error. Make sure you have an ODBC.INI entry like the following:

[NPLookup]
Driver=C:\SYS\MSWIN3\SYSTEM\sqora.dll
Description=NP Stores Inventory Lookup
Server=t:dbooh_00:prod
UserId=WMEAHAN
PacketSize=2048
OemToAnsi=Yes

Change the entries to reflect your site, of course.

Like many Oracle error messages, the error message text bears only a slight resemblence to the real problem.

Generally speaking, ODBC drivers for Oracle 6 **will** work with Oracle 7 with some loss of functionality or performance compared to a "native" Oracle 7 driver. Oracle 7 drivers will never work with Oracle 6, however.

--
Bill Meahan,  Senior Developer  |        wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com
Electrical & Fuel Handling Division, Ford Motor Company