Re: C/S reporting

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 23:53:07 GMT

In article <3cn0pq$1h3_at_xenon.brooks.af.mil> "Richard A. Wark" <warkr_at_vanadium.brooks.af.mil> writes:
>Hello!
>
> I hope some of you more experienced C/S developers can shed some
>light on the subject of reports for me and my customer. We are
>developing a PB application which runs against the Oracle 7.1.16
>engine sitting on a SUN box. We need the ability to run reports
>(who doesn't), and have source for these reports written in SQR.
>
>Here's where it gets interesting. We've evaluated SQR for Windows
>which is a great product, however using it entails pulling data off
>our server and dragging it across the network. The increased net
>traffic and the cost per Windows client gave me an idea of having a
>single copy of SQR installed on the server. We've written a
>mechanism to queue up report jobs in a table and flush this table
>every couple of minutes and spool/run the reports. So far
>we've been able to write them to an area on the SUN which is exported
>and mounted by our clients (via PC-NFS) so the reports appear in a
>logical, NFS mounted, "R:" drive.
>
>Ideally, due to the secure nature of these reports, I'd like to
>spool this output directly to the user's machine, rather than
>worry about permissions, umask settings, and ownership under
>Solaris. This would give security as well as off-loading
>housekeeping to the end-user.
>
>Has anyone done anything similar, or have any thoughts to share??

My immediate thought is, PC's are inherently insecure. Anyone with a PC can spoof any other PC, unless you go to great lengths to make things secure. To the point the end-users can't do their housekeeping anymore... it becomes far simpler to use the unix security. IMHOFWIW.

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.