ORACLE SQL*NET PROBLEMS

From: Steven MacNeil <smacneil_at_accessres.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 23:56:09 GMT

Hi. We are attempting to migrate our ORACLE databases from Oracle Ver 6 to MS SQL Server on an NT platform.

Our current platform is a VAX running VMS. We have MS ACCESS on a 486 running SQL*NET (with DECNET ADAPTER) for Windows and we have SQL*NET V2 running (DECNET) on a test database of ORACLE V7.

We have been attempting to connect via our ORACLE PC products to the ORACLE 7 Database with no luck with the hope of exporting V6 tables to V7 then via ODBC to ACCESS/SQL SERVER. Version 6 seems no longer to be supported. We have defined the LISTENER.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA files and brought the listener up and running, except when we attempt to do a LSNCRTL STATUS we get a TNS error, TNS-12197 TNS: key word-value resolution, saying that it failed to contact:(connect_data:(SID=007)). We can't see what is wrong and the file looks fine to us.

Also, when we try to connect to the Oracle7 Database via Oracle Network Manager, DataBrowser, or Nettest we get an ORA-12203:TNS: Unable to connect to destination.

Not to confuse matters, but we had difficulty in running the NCFW network configuration tool. We kept getting a "Error 1 form processing allocation 5 bytes, not freed." We are not sure if this is contributing to our problem or an indication of it.

Oracle Support seems as stymied as us.

Is there an easier way to accomplish our migration? Do we really need to bring up V7 to accomplish an ODBC connection? Enquiring minds want to know (NEED to Know!).

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Our E-mail is SMACNEIL_at_ACCESSRES.COM or MGRISAFE_at_ACCESSRES.COM Received on Wed Dec 21 1994 - 00:56:09 CET

Original text of this message