Re: How do you order by rows in a view?

From: Paul Singer <singerap_at_powergrid.electriciti.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 22:45:32

In article <3d53lq$lgq_at_news.nynexst.com> farber_at_nynexst.com (Martin Farber) writes:
>From: farber_at_nynexst.com (Martin Farber)
>Subject: Re: How do you order by rows in a view?
>Date: 19 Dec 1994 23:06:34 GMT

>In article 8dl_at_newsbf01.news.aol.com, davidjroth_at_aol.com (DavidJRoth) writes:
>>In article <ALAW.94Dec16081824_at_ap226sun.oracle.com>, alaw_at_oracle.com
>>(Alvin Law) writes:
>>
>>You can do the order by in the query that references the view.
>>Hints may work but they are just hints and the optimizer may choose to

My understanding is that hints are not really hints. They are directive and will NOT be ignored. This is from the good foulks at Oracle. Please let us all know if this is wrong.

>>ignore them. In particular, they do not seem to work over SQL*Net.

You might check to see that you are using the lates version of SQL*Net. Also, some front end tools seem to strip out the hint syntax befor they deliver the query to SQL*Net.

>>Oracle does NOT support Descending indexes. Yes, I know its in the
>>syntax. Read the fine print.

Specifically, Oracle supports the DECENDING key word. All indecies are kept in "acending" order.

>AHAHAH!! It doesn't handle descending indices, but it *will* follow an
>ascending index *backwards* using the appropriate hint!

No. I have not been able to find a hint to specify this. Oracle should do it automatically. Oracle may decid not to use the index at all.

I assume that we are talking about 7.x here by the way.