Re: How to port Forms 4.0 bitmap->text

From: Brad Marshall <bmarsha_at_uswnvg.com>
Date: 19 Dec 1994 21:12:39 GMT

In article 4uL_at_indirect.com, garon_at_indirect.com (Microright Corp) writes:
>I've developed some Forms 4.0 screens under MS-Windows and would like to
>port them to run on a VAX using VT-100 terminals.
>
>Has anyone done this before?
>Is Forms 4.0 available for VAX VMS yet?
>
>I appreciate any info others with similar problems might have.
>Thanks.
>
>--
>Garon C. Yoakum garon_at_indirect.com
>Microright Corporation
>Salt Lake City, Utah
>
>"...in the business of providing, to various clients, computer
>consulting, programming, systems analysis and other services related to
>computing, information or data processing."

I had to develop several Forms 4.0 applications under MS-Windows and then port them to run on a Sequent. It may not be the same as porting to a VAX, but porting to character-mode should have the same problems regardless of platform. Just a few things to watch for:
- I ftp'd the .fmb file to the Sequent, but don't forget to ftp in binary mode.   I forgot once and it's a pretty cryptic blowup. - Generate the file on the Sequent (VAX). Tried the .fmx file from the PC,   but it wasn't such a good idea.
- When you generate the form on under MS-Windows, leave the default module   type in character-mode. Developing in real mode looks better for developing,   but obviously isn't made for running in char-mode. - The key-mappings are a major headache. oraterm20 kept core dumping. And   some of the keys I needed to create a new keymap weren't available on my   keyboard, so I had to use the escape sequences to create a new map so I   could create a new map. If you know what I mean. - Be careful using all the nifty features on Forms4.0. Most require special   handling to use in character-mode and don't look quite right on the screen.   For example, if you put a radio group on the form, it needs extra triggers   to allow the user to "press" another radio button than the default.

Just a few items off the top of my head.

Brad Marshall
bmarsha_at_uswnvg.com
U S WEST NewVector

opinions are my own, etc, etc, ..... Received on Mon Dec 19 1994 - 22:12:39 CET

Original text of this message