Re: Hardware for 200GB+ DB ?

From: Matthias Dolder <matthias_at_ares.zuo.dec.com>
Date: 19 Dec 1994 14:48:41 GMT

In article <3d01k4$2pm_at_fido.asd.sgi.com>, darrylr_at_wombat.engr.sgi.com (Darryl Ramm) writes:
|>In article <singerap.43.000D72EF_at_powergrid.electriciti.com>,
|>Paul Singer <singerap_at_powergrid.electriciti.com> wrote:

|>Thanks for the SGI vote, however I might dispute DEC though and
|>substitute Sequent or a few other vendors depending on what the CPU,
|>I/O and memory capcity requrements where. DEC's OSF/1 scalability is
|>just awfull and it's not clear they are doing much to fix it....

SAY WHAT ?
What real life personal experience makes you say that OSF/1 scalability is 'just awfull' ??

On SPECrate benchmarks DEC OSF/1 systems scale up approx. linearly up to 6 processors (which is the max nbr of processors for now, new announcements = biz.dec.announce, watch it).
Also the DEC 7750 (5 cpus) won the AIM (tm) hot iron award as the best AIM multi-user benchmark performer they had so far (5-cpu scaling > 85%, show me better scaling for AIM benchmarks)
A DEC 7760 will perform in excess of 1000 tps, using ONLY 6 cpus, more than 50% of the result your system achieves with 31 (!!!) cpus.

You might (or better as SGI DB Mktg Manager you should :-) read last weeks joint announcement between Oracle and Digital, announcing the largest in-memory database (8GB !) demonstration to achieve new levels of database performance. Of course run on a multi-processor, true 64-bit DEC OSF/1 system. (And really only possible there)

So in the future pls refrain from bashing other vendors, in my opinion it's bad style.

rgds
MatthiasD.

DEC Digital Equipment Corporation AG, Switzerland Matthias Dolder

Internet: matthias_at_zuo.dec.com

..the opinions expressed in this entry are mine, only mine, not Digital's.... Received on Mon Dec 19 1994 - 15:48:41 CET

Original text of this message