Re: Hardware for 200GB+ DB ?

From: Paul Singer <singerap_at_powergrid.electriciti.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 1994 13:26:50

In article <5Y00H0C.smith117_at_delphi.com> smith117_at_delphi.com writes:
>From: smith117_at_delphi.com
>Subject: Re: Hardware for 200GB+ DB ?
>Date: Fri, 16 DEC 94 19:19:06 -0500

>If you are looking for the highest capacity technology,
>SGI or DEC have the best stuff today.
>
>IMHO, and be careful how anybody configures your system. Lot's of hidden
>expandability barriers that require box swaps!!
>
>Dan

Oracle just purchased a three way Sequent Cluster for internal development user for large databases. I believe that they purchased 500gig of disk with this system. My understanding is that they did an evaluation of all the platforms that they supported and chose Sequent. If I can find the press release I will post it.

I must admint to being a Sequent bigot. HP and DEC make fine equipment also. I do not think that database service is SGI's forte.

I would second the comment about expandability barriers. My experence with Sequent has been very good in this reguard.

Good Hunting. Received on Sat Dec 17 1994 - 13:26:50 CET

Original text of this message