Importing text records with embedded <CR>'s

From: Norm Russell <nrussell_at_etc.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 23:55:30 GMT

I have to import some very large text records into our Oracle 7 database. The physical records being imported consist of tab delimited, variable length fields. One record per line.

Some of the fields contain several lines of text (ie. VARCHAR2(2000), LONG). Embedded in these fields are vertical tab characters (ASCII 11). It is intended that these vertical tab characters represent a new line of text data, from the same field, when displayed to the screen.

Does anybody know how I can import these fields, using sqlldr, and convert the ASCII 11 character into something that will provide a CR/LF when displayed to the screen?

If using some pre-importing tool to massage the data before using sqlldr (do some character conversions), what would be the best input format to build so sqlldr can read it?

If possible, please e-mail me (nrussell_at_etc.bc.ca) any ideas you may have, I may miss a post to this news group. Thanks!

        Norm Received on Sat Dec 17 1994 - 00:55:30 CET

Original text of this message